Guest Jordan K Rose

Hi Ciara.

Thanks so much for having me on your blog today. I’m looking forward to getting to know some of your readers.

Today I thought I’d answer a question that I’ve been asked a number of times and have even asked other writers.

Where’d you get that idea?

I’m always tempted to say, “From the place where all ideas come.” But I don’t because I know it’s not what anyone wants to hear. And besides, my mom would be really ticked if I acted like a smart aleck when she asked me a question.

So I guess I’ll just explain how my concept for Perpetual Light came to me. It began with obsessively reading several vampire stories—from Twilight to The Vampire Chronicles to Dracula and The Sookie Stackhouse Series during the Christmas season when Christmas music plays everywhere.

I listened when I shopped, wrapped, cooked, decorated, cleaned. I love Christmas music. So of course, thinking of Christmas and vampires and romance (who doesn’t think of romance all the time) led me to imagine a Christmas party during which a woman meets her soul mate, the man she’s been in love with for hundreds of years.

In my first run of the concept I believed that Lucia had been repeatedly reincarnated to try to find Vittorio so that they could be together. Certainly, there was a villain, Samuel, chasing after her to try to capture her. That was it. Very exciting. In my mind, anyway. She would live life after life looking for him and we, the readers, would get to experience it with her.

So, I finished a first draft and knew something was missing. I just could not figure out what. I had no idea how to add the needed conflict. Samuel seemed scary as all hell to me, but he wasn’t enough. They needed more.

At the dinner for the Fantasy, Futuristic and Paranormal Chapter during the RWA National Conference in 2010 I sat with Ella Drake, Jax Cassidy, and Chudney. They asked me question after question and made a number of different suggestions, none of which clicked, but they did all get me thinking.

When I got back home from the Conference, I rewrote Perpetual Light and added the missing issue. It was as though the idea had been sitting at my desk waiting for me to come home. Lucia isn’t just looking for Vittorio because she loves him, which she does. She has to kill him. She’s a divine slayer sent to take his soul back to The Light.

And Samuel doesn’t just want her, he wants to possess her divine power so he can rule the world.

And Vittorio doesn’t simply have to defend Lucia. He has to help her remember how to use her power, help her kill Samuel and then let her kill him.

But, let’s face it—how many people do you know who are willing to just let someone kill them? Innately, we all fight to survive. He’s not exactly the most willing vampire.

When I tell you I breathed a sigh of relief, I mean I finally was able to sleep at night and think of anything other than

Lucia and Vittorio. I can’t begin to explain how obsessed a writer becomes when she’s trying to work out a plot issue.

So that’s it. Not exactly the most glamorous explanation, but that’s where my idea came from. So now, you tell me.

If you write, where did your idea come from? If you don’t write, where did you get an idea to do something completely different than anyone would expect?

~ ~ ~

After trying her hand at many, many things- from crafting and art classes to cooking and sewing classes to running her own handbag business, Jordan finally figured out how to channel her creativity. With an active imagination and a little encouragement from her husband she sat down and began to write, each night clicking away at the keys with her black Labrador, Dino curled up under the desk.

A few short years later she’s entered the publishing arena with no plans to ever turn back.

Jordan’s a member of Rhode Island Romance Writers, as well as RWA National, and the New England (NEC), Connecticut, and Fantasy, Futuristic and Paranormal (FFnP) Chapters.

Her first book, Perpetual Light, releases in March of 2012 from Crescent Moon Press.

Find Jordan on her website at www.jordankrose.com.

Follow her tweets on https://twitter.com/#!/jordankrose

Friend her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/jordankrose

Perpetual Light Back Cover Blurb

Fate is cruel. Especially when the one you’ve sworn to love for all eternity, the very soul who changed your destiny is the last person you should trust.

After more than three hundred years of running, Lucia Dicomano must make a choice.

Forced to take her place as a Pharo of Redemption, the divine slayer needs to master her forgotten powers. Lucia turns to Vittorio, the one vampire she’s failed to deliver from eternal damnation. But overcoming smoldering remnants of love, lust and anger aren’t their only obstacles.

Samuel, who may know Lucia better than she knows herself, hunts her with a fervor stoked by a thousand years of vengeful hatred. His plan–capture and enslave the weakened Pharo then take control of her elusive power.

Can Lucia trust Vittorio long enough to reclaim her powers? Or will she have no choice but to kill him and battle Samuel alone?

40 Responses to Guest Jordan K Rose

• Brinda says:

Hi Jordan,
    I love hearing how you solved your plot issue to make a much better story. It’s funny how ideas begin, change, and then mature. Great post! Your book sounds exciting.

• Lindi says:

Jordan, Like Brinda I love to hear stories about how someone got the idea for their novel. I have a hard time thinking of ideas on my own, but a news item, or picture or something will trigger an idea. I love it when it happens because you ‘just know it.’ It’s kind of hard to explain.
    Thanks for sharing. Your book sounds awesome.

• Hi Lindi.

It is wonderful when the idea clicks. That feeling you described of “just know it” is the best. Amazing how fast your fingers can fly across a keyboard, isn’t it! Jordan

• Hi Jordan, the best ideas come from bouncing them back and fourth with other writers. The books sounds fantastic, can’t wait to read it. Most of my ideas come from long drives, on occasion I will wake up and have a story plot in my head. As you know ideas are great, it’s the execution of the story that makes a writer! Best of luck with Perpetual Light!

• Hi Hildie. You’re so right! The idea is fun. The execution is key. Thanks for the support of Perpetual Light and best wishes for many more successful executions! (hee, hee, hee!) Jordan

• Marta Szemik says:

Jordan, sounds like the brainstorming session at the conference was well worth it. My mom always tries to give me ideas, but I find my issue is having too many at a time and trying to sort them all. Perpetual Light sounds very interesting.

• Hi Marta. My husband was just reminding me of an idea he gave me about a year ago. Of course, he did note that I have not done anything with his “good idea.” But, as you’ve said, there’s not enough time to flesh out every idea, edit the ones you’ve completed and get all those pesky non-writing things done. If you find a way to do it, let me know. :) Jordan

• I agree that bouncing ideas around with others is amazingly helpful when you’re developing a concept.

Thanks for the great post and I wish you the best of luck with your book.

• Hi C. Lee.

The FFnP is a great group to work with and I have the most wonderful critique partner, Kat Duncan. She’s always available to help solidify ideas and ask enough questions to spur new ones. Thanks for the well wishes. Jordan

• Hi Alex.
      Thanks for stopping by. I’m always amazed at what inspires other writers. From TV and movies to the news to dreams. Just think, so many other people watch the same shows as you and they don’t get inspired at all. I wonder why! :) Jordan

• Hi Michael.
      I’m so glad you like the title. Hopefully, reading the book will be just as pleasing! :) This title came to me very easily, before I’d even come close to finishing the book. In fact, it might have come to me first. My current book, an Eva Prim story, is killing me. I can’t think of a title to save my life. I’m hoping something comes to me by the time I finish. Jordan

• Southpaw says:

…from the idea store. The good ones are kept in the back and are really expensive.

Yeah, your right, people don’t appreciate that kind of answer.

• Lindsay says:

I love hearing how people come up with their story ideas. I do like the idea of bouncing them around with others to get the kinks out or fine tune the concept. I’ve done that myself.

• Hi Lindsay. It is always fun to bounce ideas around with others. Though, I’ll admit that when I in the thick of trying to figure something out, it never quite feels like help. I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but I feel like I’m the only person in the entire world who understands my plight! So funny, how everyone experiences the same symptoms of creativity. Thanks for stopping by. Jordan

• Pam says:

First off, it was great hearing about how you came up with your story and the additional conflict needed! I am not a writer, though for several years I did kind of write stories just to kind of escape reality for awhile. Back then I didn’t read much. But I’m terrible at writing so I will leave that to others. :)

One instance that I recall where I came up with an idea for something was when I entered a one on one graphic battle on a message board. This girl challenged me to a photomanipulation battle with the theme of War. Well, I had a heck of a time trying to come up with an idea for the image I wanted to make. Made a few attempts and hated every one of them. Then one night my sister and I went to the movies and there was a commercial before the trailers started and I saw an image in the commercial that right there gave me an idea. After that it didn’t take me very long at all to create my design. When it came time for members of the forum to vote which they liked better, more people were voting for mine and the girl wasn’t happy about that. She was VERY good at photomanipulation … way better than me … but a lot of the people couldn’t figure out how her image had anything to do with war so people more often than not voted for mine. Before the challenge even had a chance to end, the other girl deleted her account. No idea why though. LOL
    Just in case you might be curious, this is the image I created for that challenge:

Well, best of luck with your writing. Perpetual Light sounds really good and I look forward to reading it at some point! :)

• Jay Noel says:

Funny how it’s just that one missing spark that’s needed to make a story complete. Sometimes, if that spark is missing, the best thing to do is to just let it sit awhile. Let it collect dust if you have to. A little space does creativity good!

• Hey, there Jay. I agree. Giving it a rest sometimes is the best idea, though I’ll admit it’s incredibly painful to let go when you feel like it needs work. But staring out it until your eyes turn red doesn’t seem to help. Thanks for stopping by. Jordan

• LOL – when I’m asked that question I’m always tempted to say I purchased my idea at Walmart. I mean, they seem to stock everything. I’m sure they have ideas on the shelf somewhere :)

• Thanks for the insight into your creative process. I guess I’m lucky–most of my story ideas come to me as dreams, with a beginning, middle and an end. When I’m stuck, I have my two ‘Plot Princesses’ (creative ladies, but not writers) who offer crazy options which I write down, turn around, shake up and down & somehow find a solution to the problem. It’s a group effort.
    Congratulations on your book. Mt first book (also with Crescent Moon Press) should be out this Spring. I share your excitement!

• Hi Diane. I’ve never been lucky enough to have an idea come to me in a dream with beginning, middle and end. I’ve gotten some bits and pieces that I’ve rolled around and developed into ideas, but I had to be conscious to make it work! Congrats on your new book. I’ll look forward to hearing more about it. Jordan

Copyright © 2013. All Rights Reserved.